Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Friday, January 25, 2008

Brain = extra crispy

So, as I've noted before, I'm spending some of my free time trying to pull together a bidding 'study guide' for myself (and any future pard) based on BWS with added gadgets. I've jokingly called it 'KFC Standard', which sounds more pleasingly more like fast-food chicken heaven than anything related to bridge.

Thankfully, I'm getting close to being done. I've put a fair amount of work in and I'm starting to burn out. A couple things have crossed my mind during this exercise:
  1. I still have a massive weakness in competitive/defensive auctions. On the plus side, I know this and can at least work to address it.
  2. Beyond the written law of BWS, it's just amazing the variations in bidding style that are out there. 4-card majors versus 5, natural versus completely artificial, etc.
  3. With all that variation, it becomes clear that a well-constructed, standard system will serve you awful well... Assuming you know it inside and out.
I'm just still amazed, I guess, by the emphasis that's placed on bidding. While it's obviously important to reach the right contracts, you aren't going to get very far bidding thin games and slams without the cardplay skills to pull them off.

I'm not saying I have the cardplay skills either... I just think I'd take that over ultra-scientific bidding prowess anyday.

No comments: