Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

[Not] Managing entries

Let's try posting a hand... For starters, nothing here on this blog will be a revelation to anyone who knows anything... But they're revelations to me!

Playing a pickup on game on BBO, you sit West. Pard is a self-described advanced player. North is a known, solid, genuine expert parding with a known, solid advanced South. In other words, I'm screwed...

DealerE
VulE/W
Scoring-
Lead
J752
QT9
Q732
K4

Q94
K3
J4
JT9752
AK63
QJ742
A5
63

T8
865
KT986
AQ8


WestNorthEastSouth


1p
1NTp2p
3p3NTp
pp


East's 2♠ bid is alerted to N/S as natural rather than a reverse. Of course, I didn't know that when I bid my 3♣. On a 17 pt reverse, I figured we were approaching game and with any ♣ honors in E's hand I figured we were golden.

The lead was the ♠2. My plan was to win the lead and establish clubs. I'm not sure that was the right plan, but it was my plan. The problem is that I won the opening lead in hand with the ♠Q. I started to run clubs, but then realized that I would eventually get pinned in dummy and not be able to run any of the clubs I had originally wanted to establish. Given the line I chose, I should win trick 1 in dummy and then push clubs from that side.

Once I realized that I was pinned, I used the ♥K as an entry to hand and took the finessed the ♥Q in N. Thankfully, hearts broke and the next heart picked up the suit.

Lesson learned: Especially when establishing a long suit, make sure you maintain entries to that hand to actually use the tricks you worked so hard to establish.

No comments: