Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Your computer doesn't love you..."

Since I'm exceptionally mediocre, I try to spend as much time playing hands as I can. I bought BridgeBaron for my pc and have found that, if you set the thinking correctly, it plays plenty strong/accurate for me.

Today, however, it decided to be uncharacteristically aggressive:
A85
KJ84
AKQ3
AQ
KJ72
T63
T94
743

WestNorthEastSouth

2p2
p2NTp3
p6NTpp
p


The lead is the ♣9... The computer was north, but once the auction is done it rotates the hands to I have to play it.

So, how do you plan to make 6NT? How I did it, below....



Not that there's anything exceptional to the play, mind you. Just a lucky lay of the cards:
DealerN
VulN/S
Scoring-
Lead6
A85
KJ84
AKQ3
AQ

T63
AQ72
J75
JT2
Q94
95
862
K9865

KJ72
T63
T94
743


Well, I get my club finesse right out of the gate, west inserting the ♣T... From there, a spade finesse to the ♠J in south and a return of the T to pull west's ace. I win the ♣ continuation from west and run ♠s ending with dummy's 7 as a high card.

If the honors split I'm down 1 so I run a heart to the jack in my hand which holds. From there, it's home free.

No comments: