Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Cuebiditis

Another thing to add to the list of things to address... I've developed a predilection for various cuebids. The trick is that I occasionally space, I think, on what those bids actually mean. Take the following debacle I caused, for example:
KJT8
AKQ75
J
76

WestNorthEastSouth

122
p?

What do you bid back over partner's 2♠? You know you probably want to be in 4♠ at least. I thought "Ah! I'll be artistic and cuebid!". So, I bid an "elegant" 3. My plan was one of two things. Either:
  1. Pard will see this as agreeing spades and cuebid with a great hand. Or...
  2. Pard will see this as a generic GF cuebid, limit their hand, and then I can bid game.
So, imagine my joy when partner answered back with a jump to 4! I was thrilled thinking we'd agreed spades and were now cuebidding controls. This was reinforced in my head since we had bypassed the 3-level altogether and a possible, logical stopping spot of 3NT.

So, I decided to cuebid back my heart control. The auction so far:

WestNorthEastSouth

122
p3p4
p4

And that's where it stayed... Passed out at 4. So, I waited (very) anxiously for dummy to come down. Sitting north, I saw:
KJT43
AKQ75
J
76

Q952
94
K9
QJ853

4♠ and 4 both rate to go down (lose 2 ♣s, 1, and 1), though I'd still rather be in 4 than 4.

As it is the defense led/won the AK, but erred by leading a 3rd round. West ruffed with the 2, which I overruffed. West had 4 s to start with, so I was now able to pull trumps, lose the A, and the rest came home.

So, the next chapter to finish in the bidding guide is on competitive cuebids.

2 comments:

warren said...

Confusing - I'm not sure what 3D should mean.

Another possible meaning is a Western Cue Bid - asking partner to bid 3NT with a diamond stop.

A better question, for me, would be - how many points/spades does your partner's 2S bid promise? I (naively?) would have expected 10+. With 4 spades and less than 10 points, I would have opted for a negative double.

Lots going on here, for sure.

0.02

Kung Fu Chicken said...

You're even kind enough to not poke fun at me for opening the wrong major... :) (Which I didn't, but I did mispost that I was 5/5 - though it's fixed now).

As far as pard's 2S goes, I agree... I would've expected a little more hand (or distribution) and 5+ spades. Especially since we were vulnerable.

Of course, all's well that ends well, right?