Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bridge, etc

Well, the Bermuda Bowl is over and my predictions, posted here, were almost entirely wrong.

I had the eventual finalists (USA1 and Norway) losing in the semis. My winner pick, the Italians, were blitzed by an upstart South African team. USA2 didn't even make the final 8 - thanks in large part, I imagine, to Paul Soloway's withdrawing due to illness. And all my dark horses? Well, they didn't even get in the race for the most part.

That said, I'm absolutely thrilled for the Norwegians... If you asked me what team I wanted to see win, the answer would've been Norway. I love watching Helgemo/Helness play and I think having another nation claim the prize is great for the game.

So, congrats Norway!

In other news, I've been playing a fair bit... But haven't come across anything really 'interesting' to post. That said, I wouldn't know a truly 'beautiful hand' if I fell across it. I just can't appreciate that depth of the game yet... Maybe someday.

On that note, there's a "Why do you play bridge?" thread over on the BBO forums that I'm going to throw some thoughts in. If you're here (and not there), I'd love to see your response in the comments below.

No comments: