Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Monday, November 12, 2007

The wheels of progress...

Thankfully, I think some elements of my bridge game are starting to improve. I'm slowing down and making fewer thoughtless errors. I'm not sure I'm making that many fewer errors overall, but at least everything has a rationale behind it. If I know why I did something, at least I have a shot at fixing it.

I'm definitely seeing an improvement in my dummy play and defense. I attribute both of these to the (still limited) reading I've managed to get in with Watson and Kantar. I still need to develop muscles for counting down shape and specific spots left out.

Here's a hand from BBO that I think I did ok on. I'm fairly confident that I didn't have to overcome best defense, but I'll take what I get. I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone out there re: my play and things I might've missed...
T985
AT9
Q6
QT86

K73
J853
AJ95
AK

You're south and delcarer in 3NT. West leads the 2.

I played small from dummy and East inserted the J, which I took with the ♠K. If s split favorably, I figured that I had 7 additional trick (1, 4s, and 2s). Hearts could be a problem, but I had good spots and wasn't too concerned.

If the opps lead s, I can probably gain a trick there. But, given that I started with 7 'well spotted' s, I figured my best chance for the sure was to establish that suit.

So, I led low from hand towards the T89 in dummy, which west took with the Q. Helpful chap that he was, west switched to a which I won in hand by covering east's T with the J. I pushed another toward dummy, again won by West with the A. West returned a this time, which I won in hand.

Playing W for the missing honors, I led a low toward dummy and finessed the 9. Cross with a club, repeat the finesse (5, Q, A, 2). Now dummy yields 2 clubs and a spade, on which I can pitch and a diamond, and the A was the last trick.

DealerS
VulAll
Scoring-
Lead2
T985
AT9
Q6
QT86

AQ42
KQ7
K72
J75

J6
642
T843
9432

K73
J853
AJ95
AK

No comments: