Having mastered the martial arts, a Langshan rooster turns to mastering the essence of Contract Bridge...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Well, I thought I said...

Playing on BBO the other night under one of my alter egos. I pick up the following sitting south:
AJT3

KQ8432
KJ9

WestNorthEastSouth

1p1
12p?

What do you bid? You've played 10-12 boards with this pick-up, 'expert' pard and thus far they've really seemed to know their stuff.

Well, I decided to try what I thought was a splinter in s since I figured we had at least game in s, if not more.

WestNorthEastSouth

1p1
12p3♥*
p4p5
ppp

Partner stewed and stewed over their bid, finally calling 4. So what is P's 4bid? If it's a cue, then what to bid next? I chickened out, scared that I hadn't splintered as intended, so I bid 5 to end the discussion.
K
JT72
AJ
AQ7652
AJT3

KQ8432
KJ9

As it is, we missed a cold slam. Pard was irate, stating that my 3 bid should either be a limit raise in s or a natural bid. I'm not sure I see it that way. I figure 2would be some sort of limit-y raise, but 3 would seem to show fit and some degree of shortness.

On the low heart lead from E, 5+2 was good for a whopping -2IMPS since the majority of the field was in 6. Truth is that I could care less about the botch and overtricks. I just want to know that I bid right.

So, how would you bid the S hand?

4 comments:

Ken said...

I don't think the 3H bid is due yet. I can understand your reasoning, but you got room to set up a GF and make an invite later. I would say 3H is an underbid on your way to 3NT asking for a stopper.

I'd bid like this:

1C-p-1D-1H
2C-p-2S*-p
2N*-p-3C*-p
3D'-p-3H'-p
3S'-p-5H"-p
6D-p-7C-ap

2S is GF - reverse from responder, may be 3cards
2N forcing, showing some heart stopper
3C slam invite
' cue - cue in partners suit - must be A or K! This is very good news!
" exclusion KC.
As south you now know a lot - cuebid in partners suits is based upon A or K ( maybe Q ). Thus you know that N must have the dia A, spa K. You should be able to find 7C now.

When you bid 2H, you won't know if partner has gotten the K of S because a cue may be based upon a singleton.

Just my version :)

Kung Fu Chicken said...

Firmit,

Thanks so much for commenting!

You said:
I can understand your reasoning, but you got room to set up a GF and make an invite later.

Great point... I guess I thought that the defining characteristic of my hand was the void, so why not show it. I planned to pull 3NT to 4C, which I thought would be a slam try anyway.

You're right though, just reversing with spades and delaying support for clubs would probably be better.

How would you handle this though?

1C - 1D - (1H) - 2C - 2S - 3C

Splinter then?

Again, thanks so much. There's so much to learn, and it's great to have a chance to think it through with help from others!

(And thanks for your template tool! What an awesome gadget...)

Ken said...

Now would be a good time I'd think. A splinter now would obviously show a void given you could cue-bid it as a singleton. So:

(...)
3C-4H void with club support
4S-4N cue (must be K as partner should not cue your suit with a singleton)
5S-7C 2A+Q - grand should be good.

Kung Fu Chicken said...

Thanks for popping back. Appreciate the help!